Monday, February 25, 2008

The Star of India (& other fun things)

Okay, so this summer Chris and I are going on the infamous pioneer trek. Yeah, yeah, pretty much everybody did that when they were 15 or whatever. But what's cool is that we get to go as a Ma and Pa. And since it is such an ordeal to go to Wyoming from San Diego, our Stake is making the most of it. So we get to experience 'just what the handcart pioneers did'. Starting from the time they left England.

Last Saturday we got to go visit the Star of India, a sailing ship kind of similar to that which the pioneers sailed on. This is us with the Star of India in the background.

To see the Star of India, you buy a ticket to the San Diego Maritime Museum which includes several boats including the HMS Surprise, which was used in the filming of the movie "Master and Commander."

This is Chris steering the ship into battle.
This is me actually steering the ship from below deck.

Below is Chris's favorite part of the museum, the Russian sub.

So this is one of the coolest symbols I think I've ever seen. Don't get too close or lightning will come out of your head and hand (who knew?).

4 comments:

Kristin Hanson said...

that warning sign is awesome!

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

OOo. The Maritime Museum didn't have the sub last time I was there. Cool.

My littlest sis' was running along the deck of the Star of India, when she tripped and scraped her knee. When school started again she wrote a very funny story (third-grade style) entitled: The Scar of India.

Pulcheria said...

Wow! Nice pics. It made me miss you guys and the museum (in that order of course).

Anonymous said...

Next time we visit, we've gotta go there. On that DisneySub site I work with, they had a bunch of members get together a couple of months ago when the Maritime Museum did their mock battles out in the Bay. I wanted to go, but alas, work & money foiled me again...

Someday, we'll all have to go.