Monday, December 24, 2007

I live in Paradise- I wish I could just remember that everyday!

You know I always hate to pay rent, I always hate to fill up the car, I hate that I can't work on my cars, I hate the cost of food, clothes, etc., etc.. Then a day like today comes along- December 24th- right in the middle of winter, Christmas Eve, source of so many songs ("White Christmas," "Rockin' around the Christmas Tree," "Jingle Bells"), longing of snow- and yet as I went to work I noticed that crystal blue sky and the need to wear sunglasses. PARADISE! Sun, 75, costal breeze, not a cloud in the sky, palm trees swaying, beaches filled with people, PARADISE. Yeah it sucks in the day when I have to look out the window and see the great weather I miss working in the lab, but its days like today when everyone I know is enduring blizzards and ice, and I am in shorts and flip-flops and happy as can be. Just goes to show you happiness CAN be bought, you just have to be able to afford to live in San Diego, and hopefully have time to enjoy it.
Fortunately for me I have a few days off and I fully intend to enjoy the very thing that Alicia and I take for granted.
The other great part about paradise: New traditions to be formed: Yup you heard it here first- Lish and I have a new Christmas tradition (well technically a Christmas Eve tradition) Wienerschnitzel for Christmas Eve dinner. Yup chili dogs and $0.99 chili cheese fries burritos (don't ask, they're just great), wash it all down with a cold Dew Float. Best part about it? All enjoyed while staring at the setting sun, while wearing shorts, hoodies, and flip-flops. Yup only in paradise can you start Christmas traditions that involve shorts, flip-flops, and hoodies.
Oh and for all of you who are enjoying the snow: Merry Christmas, and enjoy the cold!

1 comment:

Kristin Hanson said...

Thanks for rubbing it in ;) We took a walk yesterday and made it two blocks before turning around. It took a good 20 mins for my ears to defrost. I thought I was in Logan again!!!