Monday, March 10, 2008

Gettin' Rich with Sunshine Dollars

So recently we were playing BANG! (feel free to ask me for a good banging) with our friends Jason and Elise. During the out of control gaming we were talking about how poor wages were in SD versus costs of things like rent. It was at this point that Jason told us during his recruitment to his previous job he was told that even though the pay was not commensurate in respects to other locations/work, that they also paid in Sunshine Dollars (a la living in Sunny SD). That of course got me laughing and thinking simultaneously (a dangerous habit, I know). So when I was recruited to the BMS program here at UCSD they too talked of a lack of equal pay to cost but that it WAS San Diego. So was that the scientific way of saying, "Hey we'll pay you in sunshine dollars."
So as part of my goal to always save more I have officially opened up my SDSD account (San Diego Sunshine Dollars). Only question now is: Do I have to make a payment every time the weather is gorgeous? If so, how much? Can I buy my way out a gray weekend?
The irony of it all is how true it is. Alicia and I have often talked of the fact that if we'd have chosen to go to UW it'd be different. We'd own a house, I'd probably ski more, wouldn't surf, and oh yeah, people wouldn't just happen to want to come visit us for a few days. Interesting. That being said, we often talk of how nice it is having a beach a few minutes away, bicycling year-round, and the fact that I have palm trees out side my window. Oh yeah and the pay really is good here- if you count the SD ;)

Now to make everyone jealous, I had to go down to SIO to last week (Scripps Inst. of Oceanography (its part of UCSD just down on the coast more)), so I decided to take a few pix while I was there:

So this is about 50' from the building I work in. A great place to eat, as long as you don't want to go back to work any time soon.


This guy was making me jealous- wish I could join him, he looks lonely.

7 comments:

Pulcheria said...

So jealous. I miss the long walks on the beach. These picks just may make Danny cry.

Chris and Lish said...

Glad we could help out ;) Maybe it'll be enough to convince him to drag you guys out here for a few days.

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

Hm. Like I ever need an arm twisting. :)

By the way, I've been to W recently, and UW is colder than a cast iron brazier in a Siberian winter. You don't want it. You want the "sunshine dollars."

Chris and Lish said...

Apparently you do need an arm twisting, because we haven't seen you since we moved 3 1/2 years ago...

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

Hm. You make a good point.

Good news: I got an assistantship for next year, so we'll actually have an income. That could help matters, some...

Anonymous said...

Can I just say that I'm glad you live there in Sunny San Diego! I've really enjoyed visiting both of you and Pamela's brother. Makes me wish and think of moving down there.;) If all goes well with my new job with Logan City we may be able to visit by the end of the summer.

Anonymous said...

Chris, we could always use a good Bang!ing. But I'm pretty good at it, so we might just Bang! you first.
The beach shots have me jealous. I'm currently looking out my office window at ANOTHER snowstorm. Perhaps the "Economic Stimulus" money can pay for another trip so I can rack up some sunshine dollars. At very latest, you'll be seeing us out there around April / March of next year.