Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Vegas and U2...a winning combination!

So as some of you may know, Chris is a moderate (cough, cough) U2 fan. So when they announced that their tour dates didn't include anywhere reasonably close to San Diego, we decided to attend the Vegas show, and meet Mike and Michelle and the kids for the show. We had GA tickets, and therefore, if we wanted to be anywhere close to the stage, had to arrive early in the day and wait. And wait and wait and wait. Fortunately, it was a beautiful day and we hung out all day with a very nice Irish family (including the dad who was about 65). We got there around 9:30 or so and got a pretty good place in line.

It wasn't until after 5 that they opened the gates, but we were able to secure a spot, and as you can see I was trying really hard to make myself take up more space than I actually do.

We were able to get inside the circle, only about 4 or 5 people away from the stage on the left hand side. Not too shabby!

Chris took about 1400 pictures (not including the ones for the Black Eyed Peas) which I had the pleasure of filtering. This one is an awesome shot of Bono and The Edge.

For one song (don't tell Chris that I don't remember which one) Larry Mullen Jr. brought out his Bongos and rocked it up with Bono on the outer circle.

But I think one of the coolest parts was when Bono pulled (quite literally) a kid out of the crowd and gave him the glasses off his face. I dare say that Napoleon will forever be a moderate (cough, cough) fan of U2. If not, I say shame on him.

When the band came back out for the encore Bono was wearing this ridiculous jacket. If anyone has suggestions for photographing a moving subject wearing red lasers, so as to not make the subject look like an explosion, please, I'm all ears.

All in all it was an awesome show, I never knew how much fun being right up against the stage with a million strangers could be. I'm definitely ready to go back and see them again!


1 comment:

Ed said...

SO jealous! Wish I coulda been there... I'm starting to lose hope that they will come to SLC during the 360 Tour. The band has recently posted their 2010 tour schedule, and we are not on it. 2 shows in Anaheim though. Mebbe I need to save my pennies to spring for another trip to visit my friends in Cali...