Thursday, June 5, 2008

Why I hate the Nintendo DS

So the irony of this post is that I don't really hate the DS- per se. (I'm not even allowed to hate the DS b/c A) I play games on Alicia's sometimes and B) Oh yeah, I bought Alicia's for her for her birthday)What I hate is what it's doing to certain video games... allow me to explain: See I'm not the guy who thinks that if it's not "HardCore," it's crap. That's not me at all. In fact some of my favorite games are deffinetly not hardcore, but see this is where I have a problem. The following is a quote from Ubisoft UK managing director Rob Cooper:
"Sony needs to show us a bit more about what its plans are to convince the publisher to invest lots more money into it. Especially when you've got the DS selling at such a tremendous pace.

"I suppose it's almost too technical for the casual person, those that are buying the DS at the moment, who want a few buttons and not a lot more. It's so simple what [Nintendo] has done. That's where I think Sony has gone a little bit too complicated, they've over-specced it, the price is too high and they need to go back to the drawing board and start again," he added. (From Gameindustry.biz)

See my problem is this- I don't want less buttons. I don't care! I can handle the fact that my current controllers have...(let's see... 1,2,3,4,5...13 plus 3 joysticks)13 plus 3 directional pads of some sort. Heck, I play PC games they have...(let's see...1,2,3,4...100+) something like 104 or so keys- WHY do I need less!?! Furthermore, I love my PSP- part of the reason I own it is b/c it is technologically superior, heck I can use it to wacth a Movie, and TV show, play several games, and listen to music, all with out having to carry anything more than the PSP itself (yes I can do all of those off a single Memory stick that I load into the side of it, no movies, no game discs, nothing but the PSP alone). Most of the reason we bought our PS3 was b/c the Blu-Ray looks so nice on our TV, heck the Wii didn't even offer the ability to listen to a CD or DVD on it. So what this guy is saying is that the rest of the industry should do just like Nintendo did with both the DS and the Wii (like I said here's the irony, cause you guessed it- we own a Wii too) but what if we don't always want the kind of garbage that is put out on the Wii and DS (Case in point: Petz series from the fool who opined this to begin with- I'd like to add that I think it is a travesty that we are teaching an entire generation of kidz that it's OK to spell using Z as the letter to indicate plurality... oh yeah and that whole Dogz Fashion...ughhh shoot me now!). So where am I going with this? Easy.

While I don't mind the collection of games that inhabit the Wii and DS and I really like the idea that more people are "in to" games and all things that go along with video games, I really wish that certain publishers would stop saying that we are all the same and that the games that might appeal to my niece, Madison, or to my parents (proud Wii owners, I might add), should be the games that I want to own. Cause so help me if all I can buy 2 years from now is Petz and stinking Raving Rabbids I'm gonna sell all my video games and take up a new hobby like cross-stitching.

I have my own abilities and sometimes I like the complex and harder games, sometimes I like technology that is forward thinking not just two palm pilots merged together. Ah well what a world we live in when the white boy in SoCal has to cry out that he too is an individual and can think and act apart from everyone around him.

-Chriz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh really.

I came across this by chance and took the time to read it. You're wrong BTW. I can do all those things on my DS and so can any other DS owner too. The fact that a lot of them wouldn't know that (and apparently you either) is probably because they're happy doing what they want to with it.

There are plenty of games to be had for all types of gamers on the DS. Just because it isn't designed specifically for you demographic and tries to be inclusive of many, is in no way ignoring you, as you seem to feel. It's just good business sense and offers a lot of things to a lot of people.

They're a low cost toy after all, so why get so hyped up about it? Especially when you aren't really even aware what it can do.

Basically m8, wind your neck in, I like my DS lots. The PSP's good too though. :)

Anonymous said...

I've had a few bits of Sony kit in my time. And I know plenty of others who've had their stuff to (so that makes a lot of kit). While all of it when new has been of a decent standard, the fact of the matter is this.

Over time, you begin to realise that any thought of getting value for money goes out of the window when it all starts breaking because of their shoddy build quality. I have one thing of theirs that still works (a mini disc player) and that's because it sit between other hi-fi seperates I own and rarely gets used.

Basically I'm trying to say their stuff is crap and I'd never buy anything Sony again. Although the blu-ray player for the price of a PS3 does seem tempting. But as I said before. Been there, done that and got the tee shirt.

All my Panasonic stuff refuses to die, offers high quality and therefore offers true value for money. All my old Nintendos are nicely stored in boxes and still working, should I care to use them. At least I don't feel used and dirty after the experience of owning their kit, which is more than I (and many others) can say for Sony's accessible range of shoddy shit.