Monday, April 28, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

Yup, finally found a few spare minutes in which I didn't want to just lie in front of the TV or on the bed. So a quick catch up on all that's been going on. Well, Lish is in full swing with her "new" work- for those who haven't talked physically with us you may not know that for the time being Alicia is serving as the interim Lead teach at work. That's the "good" part. The bad part is that they got to this point b/c things were so far down the tubes that the other lead lead them to fail their recent evaluation from some state honcho. So they have asked Alicia to please serve as a temporary lead in an effort to steer the ship that is their class from the rocks of absolute failure. So for the last few weeks Alicia has been serving as the lead for her class, far more stress than she had hoped, but that being said everyone who comes in says how much better the class is since she took over. So... in true Alicia fashion she is doing awesome and will lead the class forward towards a passing score.
Now for me, hmmm what to say? I've been working like a dog in an effort to get some serious data so that I can get another paper out. I'm getting mixed results some good, some bad, and quite a few - huh? Yup I don't even pretend to know the answers to some of what I'm seeing. I am however getting sick of all my radioactivity work. If it's not [Cu64] it's [C14]. Which by consolation will allow me to really screw with any isoradioanthropochronologist b/c he'll never be able to carbon date me. So anywho, yeah lots and lots of work. Which leads me to my rant (didn't think I'd post without one did you?). I'm really frustrated with the narrow-mindedness of people. I wish that people, random ones from Church and family members alike, would learn how real PhD programs work (real vs PhD lite (Lite= something like a PhD in PoliSci or English)). Why do I wish they'd learn? Cause I'm sick of having to explain the non-answer to the question: So, how much longer? I don't know. How much longer you gonna live? Don't know? Why not? Same reason for why I don't know how much longer I'm gonna be. Now that isn't saying I'm not gonna get it till I die. It's just that there are a LOT of factors. It's not like I just have to take some classes and write a paper or two (that would be a PhD lite) I have to do ground breaking research and LOTS of it. And in case you failed your science classes, research doesn't always work. So how than in the cosmos am I supposed to know what will and won't work? If I knew I wouldn't be doing research would I? So then the question is how much more research? Well exactly twice as much as it is half. I don't know- I'm hoping year or so more. Reality says whenever I have made my contribution to science.
Well I'm done.
Good to be posting again. Maybe, I'll try again tomorrow.

6 comments:

Kristin Hanson said...

Sorry for asking that very question, Chris :) You know us Art History majors, we never do understand them "sciences"

Chris and Lish said...

Eh it's not you Kristin it was some guy at church AGAIN (for about the third time in as many months)- oh yeah and certain family people.

Anonymous said...

In reality Chris, you'll have so many people looking up to you when all is said and done. At which point you can really tell those "certain people" what's on your mind (and where to go if'n you so choose). I feel proud to know that I've got connections with a future Christoper Larson, PhD. :)

The Kidds said...

Good luck Lish!

Pulcheria said...

Alicia - you rock! But, I already knew that. Keep up the great work, and make sure you relax some too!
Chris- Our favorite comment when people find out what Danny's working on: "History. I like history, if it weren't for money I probably would have gone into history." We have heard the comment numerous times from med students. And then there was the man who said - "Oh, Medieval history, do you joust?" It's amazing what people think!

Chris and Lish said...

LOL wow- I wish people asked me, "Cancer Pharmacology huh? So do you ever sample your drugs you make?"